Monday, May 19, 2008

Dandelion tea. Not so much.



I keep reading about the amazing benefits of dandelion root tea. My Dr. Gillian prescribes it (BBC). Jillian Michaels (biggest loser) recommends it in her book. Everywhere I turn, folks are praising the tea of the dandelion.

If you know me much, you may know that I am a lover of medicinal teas. Traditional Medicinals is my favorite brand. I swear by their Echinacea Plus immune building tea. So tonight, as Hope and I browsed the aisles of Fred Meyer (okay, we weren't browsing. I was somewhat bribing her down the aisles with the promise of "the crane")...I decided to pick some of this uber-healthy, possibly weight-reducing tea up.

Two words: Nas-tee. I can deal with not-so-great tasting things in the name of health. I've adapted to wheat flour. Garbanzo flour. All natural peanut butter. Unsalted nuts. Raw almonds. Agave sweetener. Balsalmic vinegar. Seriously. I have adapted to them all. But tea of the dandelion? It has tested my wherewithall. I did drink it (actually, I held my breath and chugged it after cooling down). An hour later, the after taste seems to be leaving.

Oh sweet dandelion - I am in for the long haul. Or at least for the duration of the teabags in your box - because you didn't come at a bargain price. I don't think our relationship will be filled with flowery moments (no pun intended) or savory sips of relaxation.

The no brainer of the night: did I really believe that a DANDELION would be a tasty tea specimen?

In other news (smile)...the Mary Tyler Moore cast is on Oprah! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that show. I grew up on it. Or did I grow up on the re-runs. I took Opie off my tivo, but I've just collapsed into my chair for a spell and tripped over it. They don't do television like they once did, that's for certain. Carol Burnett show, Mary Tyler Moore, Rhoda, That Girl...sigh. I just hugely dated myself, didn't I?

We are "frantically" preparing for our trip to Mexico. We fly to Phoenix on Friday - and out with Lee's family to Mazatlan on Saturday. I hope it's a good trip. I'm hesitant - simply because we don't travel out of country for vacations and I'd rather be in...Hawaii. Or Phoenix, even. I'll likely come back singing the praises of this new land...and begin preparing for our next trip. Looking forward to sun. And pool. And time with familia.

On the marathon front....I am recovering. I did something to my calves during the last 3 miles of the race. Like a not-so-good something. I tried hitting some hills last week - and regretted it. I headed out on Saturday for a 4.5 mile jaunt and felt pretty good. Today, Hope and I ventured out for 2 miles...we went up the hill once - and no twinges. I also...

had a fabulous massage today. My good friend Shannon was at work today - doin' massages. She gave me time on her table -- adn some pressing and popping....but I feel so much better. Shannon would tell you that my back and legs need some help...and some stretching beyond-measure. But I feel better.

Now if I could just get rid of that dandelion tea aftertaste.

1 comment:

ash's2ash's said...

SUP SISTA!-?

I'M GONNA MISS OUR CHATS! I'M SURE YOUR GONNA HAVE PLENTY FOR ME TO READ ABOUT WHEN YOU GET BACK!
GOOD LUCK WITH THE "CCB'S" {CLEANING CREW BALDYGA'S}
I DO WITH I WAS GOING! HAVE A COCKTAIL OR TWO FOR ME, EH?
MUCH LOVE TO YOU KOBBLER!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer