Monday, May 12, 2008

the rest of the story....

I still have "marathon on the brain." But there's more to tell. Like...I came down with the cold of all colds a few weeks ago - just four days before I flew to Chapel Hill, NC for business meetings. Four very long (but very productive) eastern time zone meetings.
We stayed at the Carolina Inn. An old home of someone important. Renovated and pristine. And tres southern.It actually creeped me out a bit, but I rode through it. Here's a pic of the lobby. My suite looked as if Laura Ashley had, well, thrown up in there. :) Grits were on the menu. Nuff said.
Our hotel was in the center of the University of North Carolina's campus. Lots of interesting places to eat, including "Sugarland" - home of lovely baked goods and homemade gelato, seen above. Tiramisu and white chocolate were my favorites. Two nights in a row. Mmmhmmm.
What's this blurry shot? None other than Barack Obama walking out of the Carolina Inn's hotel doors. It's a true story. Our entire radio team perched for close to an hour just to catch a glimpse.
Here he is again - heading to his ride. He's third up, if you're counting from the back. My camera phone was slow - otherwise I'd have caught the wave and the wink he gave the masses. Turns out, B-O (i love to refer to him that way) spoke at UNC and was staying at our hotel. I ran into press and whirlwinds of black cars and police as I came back from my early morning walk. He's not someone I'd vote for, but it was something to see his "secret service" and darkened cars and so on.
Two nights before I left for NC, Hope was in urgent care with a hurting ear. Turns out, she had a left over tube encapsulated in wax. Upon my return (as I battled the flu), we went in for a somewhat "emergent" surgery to remove said tube. It was quick and painless. Although, as you can see above, she was intense prior to surgery. And a little worried.
Something called "the giggle wind" truly gave Hope the funniest disposition. For about an hour.
She was all smiles as the nurse readied her for departure to the car. The smiles disappeared about 30 minutes later - as the giggle wind blew far, far away.
Here's a shot of determination and I think, a little exhaustion. Around mile 8 of the Tacoma City Marathon. The lady next to me was my gauge for a few miles. We were passing one another for quite a while.

And here is the blessed mile 13. Perched precariously on the most beautiful and much-needed downward slope. Brought a tear to my eye. But no jig in my step.
Hasta. k

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer