Monday, August 17, 2009

One Thousand Gifts

holy experience


I've added a few blogs to my google.com/reader over the past few weeks. One of them is A Holy Experience. It's not my typical "blog read" - but the result has left me thoughtful and pondering and sometimes, downright uncomfortable. The One Thousand Gifts blog I read moments ago fits into the "uncomfortable" category. I was intrigued. Possibly prompted to make my own list.

After reading the "directions" more than once, I decided I could use some life change. A little "joy plunged into my chest cavity" that results in the inability to stop counting up God's grace in one's life. At this point, I seriouly can't even imagine.

I don't know if I'll post the continuation of my list on Mondays only - but for now, here's the beginning of my "One Thousand Gifts" list.

1. "A Holy Experience" Blog

2. Waking up at 3:45 am and feeling ready to start the day.

3. The beginning of a tooth ache and the realization that it can be fixed. Eventually.

4. Playing foursquare last night with my daughter.

5. The fan blowing in the cool night air.

6. The new beginning of a Monday

7. The peaceful flow of a Sunday

8. Advil

9. Baskin & Robbins' chocolate and peanut butter ice cream.

10. The potential of this list.

11. The quiet of my house at 5:10 am.

12. Having survived the turning of another birthday.

13. My Mom, who without fail, remembers my birthday.

14. Hope. The noun. The verb. My daughter.

15. Friendships that are true and constant.

There's my 15 for the day - workingtoward 1,000. Perched on the desk, is a "1000 Things" journal - which is really so unlike me. It's possible that ways that are "so like me" aren't always good or healthy or relationship sustaining. Here's to change. A Thousand Things. Stumbling across a blog that has shaken something loose and is currently bumping around inside. Hope floats, so I hear. One can only hope.

Start your own list. I dare you.

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer