Tuesday, November 11, 2008

hmmm....

No catchy title tonight. Just a quick blog-dump.
I'm having a minor surgery in t-minus 2 days. Two more wake ups. For the particular ailment, I am looking forward to being on the other side of the knife (ie healing). I'll be "down" for 3-4 days. I have some books waiting to be read. A few shows to catch up on. And maybe some rest to be had. Lee's a pretty handy guy. I suspect he and Hope will be dining on nachos and pizza and nuggets...but they'll survive.

I've been trying to master the art of the crockpot this past week. Much to the dismay of my family, I haven't quite mastered it. Last week, I discovered the brown rice isn't a good think to crock with. It never really "cooked." But the cream cheese chicken that it basted in was really good. Monday, I struck out again with an attempt at a beef and barley stew. It ended up being a big pot of barley with nuggets of meat and veggies buried inside. The liquid completely disappeared. I fixed it tonight...Hope and I dined on it (and it was good), but Lee took a pass. :)

I'm not giving up. Am looking for a recipe that will be a hit with this family. Lee isn't a picky eater...but he is finicky. And there is a fine-line difference there. He likes pizza, but only a certain brand. He'll eat rice, but only if it's accompanied with a certain sauce. That kind of thing.

I made tomorrow's dinner, tonight. Hope was in heaven b/c it's meatballs (to go with spaghetti). She loves them. Turkey meatballs loaded with shredded veggies and spinach. She doesn't even realize... :) But they are good. Wednesdays are a mad-dash for us. Home from work, change of clothes, gulp some food and off to Awana. :) She loves it. I do too. Lee has an award dinner tomorrow night...so it's just the Hopester and I. Maybe we'll have nachos instead (ha!).

My dear friend Denise (and fellow lover of books) brought some books for my "surgery down time." The Great Divorce by CS Lewis. I'm not sure how I've never read this - I've digested most of his works. I'm excited to read this. I hear it referenced all the time. I think she may have put some Karen Kingsbury in there for me too. Another guilty pleasure. I have 3 books that I have been picking up and putting down in a rotating fashion for far too long.

Boy, I hope I'm not doped up and have my wits about me. I would really love some reading time. :) I have been trying to finish a book called, "Here if you need me" by Kate Braestrup. It's so good.

I also have plans to watch some movies that we own, but I have yet to watch. Wanna know what they are? The Devil Wears Prada (i know, i know), Stranger than Fiction, Nacho Libre and Lord of the Rings 1, 2 and however many others there are. I'm not much of a movie-watcher - but I am determined to finish watch these. I was "down for the count" over the weekend and brought out "The Devil Wears Prada" - but got caught up in those housewives of Atlanta on Bravo. It was like a train wreck that I just couldn't look away from. Those girls are NUTS. And addicting.

So that's it from here. Spaghetti and homemade meatballs tomorrow night. Surgery Thursday morning. And prayerfully, a speedy and painless (smile) recovery.

If you know me much, you'll know that I am less concerned about the surgery and highly concerned about the IV going into my hand. Oh, how squeamish I am. Needles are not my friend. My hands hurt thinking about it. Bleh! Somewhere, Katie is laughing.


No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer