Sunday, November 16, 2008

recovery...

On all different levels, recovery is work. Whether it be emotional, physical, mental or from surgery...it's work and it looks different for everyone.

I had surgery on Thursday - to fix a troublesome issue that's been with me since Hope was born almost 9 years ago. It began to hurt and affect the way I live (or wasn't living) - so it had to be fixed.

As I've laid in bed, recliners and on couches over the past 3 days, I've realized that good healthy recovery is a choice. I can do all of the things the doctor said not to and ignore his wisdom, and while I'll likely heal, it won't be a "good heal." I'll likely re-injur the wound. Temporary "bandaids" will reside instead of a good, strong scar that can withstand any new trauma or pressure that comes its way. God created the human body to heal.

I think it's true of the heart as well. So many adults are simply kids who need a true recovery. Their wounds have healed to the best of their ability, but true healing, the kind that can only come from a lot of hard work, forgiveness and looking at truth, well, it hasn't come to them yet. They need to take "orders" from the "big doctor in the sky" and make steps toward a full recovery. Most don't. But the choice is there.

Those are my Sunday words. From a girl who is still recovering from surgery. And a few other life experiences. But I'm looking at them. And know that freedom is possible.

"He jests at scars who never felt a wound." ~William Shakespear (Romeo and Juliet)

A scar is a beautiful thing. It represents recovery.

Be blessed!

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer