Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lenten Thoughts - Day 2: Falling Away

"Let the things of this world fall away so the soul can fall in love with God. God only comes to fill the empty places and kenosis is necessary – to empty the soul to know the filling of God." Anne Voskamp

I've never observed Lent other than recognizing the 40 days prior to Easter as something that exists. I used to harken from "big church" in a primarily evangelical world and that's how we handled it. Nothing wrong with that. It just was.

In the wee Lutheran church we've been attending for about six months, Lent is more than a topic, it's a practice. A focus on the liturgical calendar has been interesting. Heart-warming. And instead of talking about Lent, I'm participating in it.

I gave up something that I knew would free up some time, put my focus on something other than my own time and something that I would miss after I made it through the week.

Goodbye, television. I made it through Day 1, but I missed it. The winding down of it. The noise of it in the background after my people are asleep. Falling asleep to it. I replaced it with reading, and study and prayer.

Heading into Day 2. Loving this devotional on Lent from one of my favorites. Ann Voskamp.

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer