Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lenten Thoughts - Day 4

Saturday. Random thoughts.

I totally blew my meatless Friday without meaning to. And didn't even realize it until hours later. God's grace is bigger than that. :)

Life is quieter. I don't know if it's the absence of television or the pointed resolve to remove distractions and focus. Television was just one of those distractions.

Moments seem bigger. Movements are more recognizable. The quiet is full. My heart is learning to be still.

God has blessed me with such strong women in my life. A village of them. I don't pay enough attention to their movement in my daily life. I want to live in that village every day - not just visit it from week to week.

One of those glorious women shared the most private moment with me yesterday. She was so vulnerable. We trust deep. We cried together. And laughed through the tears and the snot. Life is so big. God is so much bigger. And she is so brave in the face of something so beyond understanding. Honored. Moved. Changed. We love.

My daughter woos my heart. Brilliant. Strong. Sassy. Hilarious. She's growing up in a place that is safe for her to be exactly who she is. She knows she is loved. She can give words to every thought and worry. We receive and love and speak life. She will never have to worry. We will always be there. Her heart grows up full, knowing this.

I learned so much from my mother-in-law. Vulnerable. Sweet. Loving. Honest. My sister-in-law and I reminisced about her the second day of Lent. It's less bitter and just sweet after so many years of missing her. We talked about the cards she sent us every week, even though we saw her every weekend. The trinkets she would give us from shopping trips as she thought about what would make us happy. The way she loved her man. Her desire to be with family always. She would have loved our girl with such wild abandon. My heart aches over the thought of what a gift that would have been for her.

Dottie loved in the moment. She WAS the moment. She never left. No matter what happened. Even through hurt feelings, she still came back. Her ability to love and keep her family together lives on. Her son, her precious boy. He loves this way. It's not something he has to try to do. He just knows this is how life should be. He keeps short lists of offenses. Their family embraces everything and still loves. Still connects. I'm so thankful to have been raise up by these people. Twenty-one years with them. My heart is blessed.

God is so good. This article made me think of my mom-in-law. Missing you, Dottie!





No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer