Sunday, April 20, 2008

A cleaning frenzy...

It's true. That's what happened at our house today. Why, you ask? My sister-in-law is coming to stay with Hope and Lee while I'm in North Carolina (for work). My husband is a neatnik extraordinaire...but his sister is Queen Neatnik. I love her. Raked rugs, alphabetized refrigerator and all. Lee will be in heaven after she departs. Sadly, I won't be able to keep up with that particular madness for the long-haul. I've got my own quirkiness to deal with. Oh, I kid. Kind of. :)

So our normally clean house is now deeply clean. (?). Lee is at peace and I'm sort of afraid to move. But I will. And it will be mussed up within a few days. I've been trying to join my man in more and more things that are of interest to him...but the frantic cleaning is something I'm happy to just hand on over to him. Surprisingly, he took it. Rest assured, I did my part. He was upstairs with the vacuum for about an hour in one room today. I just praised the Lord for his love for "the clean" and let him continue.

It snowed off and on all weekend long. The weather is a particular madness that I'm just about done with. As we ate dinner tonight, the three of us watched hail cover our deck in 3 inches of icy wonder. It's gotten to the point of ridiculousness. I'm tempted to erect an igloo out front.

The marathon training only has a few more weeks left, believe it or not. I've been doing some juggling of training days due to my schedule and upcoming travel. Lee decided he wanted to do his 14 miles yesterday...so off he went. South Prairie to Puyallup - 14.5-ish miles in the pouring rain, freezing hail and snow. He walked a 13.2 minute mile. That boy is pretty fast. And now, he's pretty sore. :) Connie and I are attempting our 14 in about five days. I wasn't up for it this weekend.

Hope and I made some uber healthy peanut butter/banana muffins tonight. With wheat flour. They aren't half bad. Might be better with chocolate chips...again, I kid. Kind of. :)

Church was fabuloso today. Our Pastor is doing a series on witnessing and has been challenging us with good questions. He's been talking about faith...a lot. And I like his biblical view. And the reality that life as Christians will be full of trials and tribulations -- and how to not only find Christ in the midst of that...but allow ourselves to shine something to others along the way. Lord knows, I can offer a hearty amen to that theology. Life is no cakewalk, peeps. No cakewalk, indeed. Hope seems to be enjoying Sunday school...and received an attendance award today (3 weeks in a row). :) She was pleased - and received a pretty cool bubble kit. A nice distraction from the world of Webkinz that she seems to be a little obsessed with.

A few weeks ago, I signed up to help with VBS in July. I'm excited because it's held in the evening from 6 to 9 pm. Not only can Hope go...but I can volunteer. I knew I didn't want to lead a class of kids (not really my thing) - but wanted to help. They asked for a powerpoint creator and a snack leader today. I bit it and offered up the powerpoint skills ... and was relieved when somone beat me to it. Powerpoint + Kris = ick. I can whip my way through a presentation - but it's one of my least favorite things to do. :)

Two of us were standing together with an eye on the position of snack helper. Turns out, we are both 4 weeks' new to this church. Her name is Jennifer. She and her husband are from Missouri, they actually have some $$ down on some land in the five-acre plots next to our development. I know! :) We agreed to share snack duty -- and gabbed as we walked over to pick up our kids. We laughed at the fact that we both beelined for the snack position as a way to serve and get to know some peeps. And, if Lee decides to help with the snack shack, he could join in. Miracles do happen, you know. :) Although, I'm happy to allow the Lord to be the creator of those moments vs. myself. But oh, how I like to meddle. :)

Anyhow, my first friendly contact (outside of leaders and familiar Awana faces) in this new churching land. :) It was lovely. And encouraging. This church (I suppose I should start calling it "my church) has some family swimming at the Enumclaw pool every other week...and a skate night or two. I'm digging this smaller-church gig. I have to turn off my "comfort in being invisible" and replace it with a willingness to be known...but it's good for me. And I think...these peeps are the real deal.

I have one wild and wHooly week lying in front of me. I need to be on my knees every day for God to keep it ordered and in control. Last week, it (my week!) controlled me. :)

sidenote: Our pastor does his own powerpoint slides for his sermon. and holds his own remote 'clicker' to turn the slides from his computer on stage. I'm not sure anyone but Denise G. will appreciate this comment. It gives me a chuckle and puts a smile on my face everytime I see his self-generated graphics and lines and lines of originally created words come up on the screen. It's good. :)

Be blessed this week! :) k

1 comment:

ash's2ash's said...

Hello My Kobbler friend! Oh, how I enjoy reading your blog!

I have to say I'm having a hard time picturing Uncle in any kind of marathon let alone a 14. mile marathon. That's so awesome though, what a unique way for you guys to spend time. {I will be taking you up on your "reading time" thoughts for myself and my Lovebug}

I do wish you luck in your tip-toeing around the house for the next couple of days *Jay sends his sympathies to you* I must say a big part inside me started to glow when I read the words "deep clean". Oh, how I enjoy a good day of deep cleaning, and organizing! It's apart of the Baldyga DNA you know. Baldyga Cleaning Clan - HA!

I hope your trip go's well! I'm excited to hear about it.

Love you!
-THE CLEAN ONE.

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer