Wednesday, April 16, 2008

my new favorite subject is reading...

I wish I could get up out of this chair without waking Hope up. It's a perfect photo opportunity. She is lying in the guest room bed (and I'm typing in the recliner left in here from my sinus surgery) - and has fallen asleep reading her book. The cutest/funniest thing is the book is still in her hand--in the air like she's reading. Her eyes are closed and she's snoring. Those are the moments, eh?

I bought her a new book while she was at Awana tonight (it's kind of become "a thing" between us). I don't remember how it began. I think I bought a birthday present one night while she was doin' the Awana gig and this little "Judy Moody" book caught my eye. She finished it in 2 days. A little novelette, I guess you could call it. The following week, I bought the other Judy Moody book. A few weeks back, I tried again - but the little store was "sold out" of Judy Moody. I gave Ramona a try, but not so much a success.

Tonight, still no Judy Moody (I know, go to another bookstore, Kris). Instead, a copy of Nim's Island was staring me in the face. We saw the movie a few weeks ago - and LOVED it. The book seems to be having the same effect. Each turned page prompted Hope to call out, "Mom, I'm already on page 14. Now I'm on 15. Mom, I'm heading into Chapter 2." To quote my little one, "Reading is my new favorite subject. As long as I like the book." Well said, Shakespeare. Well said. :)

Confession: I am a book lover. Pre-children, I was an avid reader. Now, I just try. One of my favorite things is to get lost in a bookstore. Even if I never buy a blooming thing. I feel almost as emotional about the library. Maybe moreso because everything is FREE in there. Last summer Hope and I went to that free book place every Monday and had a ball.

The book has now made it squarely over her face. It's blocking the blazing overhead light in this lovely room. And now for the task of squiring my very sleep reader into her own little bed and burying my face in a book. My Bible, dontcha know. :)

Hasta. And happy page turning.

2 comments:

ash's2ash's said...

I'm so glade that hope is a little reader. I'm 23 and it wasn't until a couple years ago did I really start to enjoy reading. STILL, it's not my first thought/thing to do. I must force myself to open/start a book, but after that I'm an addict.
First and favorite book I've ever red cover to cover would be "A million little pieces" Followed by "Sloppy firsts" Those two books still hold a special place in my heart! :-D I love ya Sista Friend! Da-Da-Boo-Ya! Shocka-a-locka-Shocka-a-loca :-)~

Melissa Ens said...

Hi Kris! You don't know me, but I saw your comment about World Vision on Boomama's blog and was grateful somebody addressed more completely what World Vision does. We've been sponsors with them for a few years and I didn't feel like (what was his name?) the other guy was quite accurate in his explanation. So I'm glad somebody mentioned a bit more. : )

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer