Sunday, October 19, 2008

...the heart will go on...

Love can touch us once
and last for a lifetime
and never let go til we're gone.
Love was when I loved you
One true time, I hold you
In my life, we'll always go on.


That's sort of privately poignant for me right now. Ahhhh, the titanic song. I suppose I've never listened to it very clearly. I've been crooning to Celine all weekend on my iPod. Why?



Did I mention Celine Dion was on the weekend docket? Last night. And she was AMAZING. Seriously, amazing. A belated birthday gift from my dear friend, Shelly. I have to say that my entire Saturday just might be the best day I have had in a very long time. AND, the belated birthday evening - might just have been the best. ever. (no one be offended if you've done something lovely for my birthday. I'm talking ... the past five years-ish). Although, Shelly and I ventured to Portland in one day, just to see Barry Manilow last year as another belated birthday celebration. It was phenomenal as well.

Shelly's sister, Charlene, joined us for dinner at El Gaucho in Tacoma. Or TA-co-MA, as pronounced by Celine. I wonder if she wondered where in the heck she was - in the land of the dome and all things hilltop. ? :)

Anyhow...dinner was unbelievable. One of those places where the meal comes in courses. Charlene ordered something called a "berrytini" - after one taste of hers, I quickly ordered one as well. It was my first martini, ever. And it was gorgeous. Mmmmm!

After a wonderful dinner, we were seranaded by the piano in the lounge below - and a group of women belting out Celine tunes one after the other. It was so fun. Charlene grabbed the chef and had a few pics taken of us with him (because we loved the food -and the bananas foster so very much). Photos coming. :)

We made it up to our seats with a moment to spare. An impressionist named Gordy something performed for us. He was hillarious. And I think, he's from Vegas. Gordy Brown, I think. Celine came to the stage through the crowd. Shelly wasn't much for her dialogue, but I adore Ms. Dion, so I was happy to hear her share a little as well as croon.

An amazing show. After-show traffic? Ugly. But gave Shelly and I a chance to visit whilst ignoring the red lights, not-so-nice policemen and navigate through closed roads and unknown streets. ;)

Overall? I think that was my very best birthday ever. Seriously. :)


Crazy self-portrait while waiting for Charlene and Shelly a few blocks from the Dome. :) Not a great shot, but you get the picture. Have green tea, will travel. :) Photos: camera phone.

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer