Tuesday, October 21, 2008

remembering a great man

Earl Cumpston, Jr.
10/11/38 - 9/11/08

I attended a memorial service for Earl Cumpston today. He was a big ol' teddy bear, in my book. I confess that it's been a few years since I saw him live and in person. But he is permanently imprinted on my heart. And Lee's. And what looked to be about 200 other folks in attendance today.

Earl's wife MariKay (MK) has been my email and prayer buddy for years. She calls me sleeves (don't ask) and makes a mean chicken stuffing casserole. She and Earl were part of a small group with Lee and I 11-ish years ago. They cared for us and loved us through some crazy days surrounding the death of Lee's mom. And now, she and I are facebook friends. We keep a lively conversation going through that crazy social network at least once a week. Usually on politics. Or Joe Biden's use of botox. Or the possibility of a translator for some of my lingo. :)

The most amazing thing about today was the obvious legacy Earl left. His two kids, his friends, his family, his wife, the cowboys he served....and me. The words spoken by their pastor confirmed what I know to be true: Earl loved people. And he loved them well. He had a heart to help - and he was flat-out lovable. When I say he was a teddy bear, I'm not kidding. I'm honored to have known such a man. And have pondered the question all day long: We're only given a short time on this planet. What are we doing with our lives? How am I touching others? And what kind of legacy am I leaving. Am I living like Earl? Can I live like that?

Good questions, eh?

Earl, you are remembered. You are loved. And you lived well. I'm wondering if what Pastor Scott said is true. Are you dancing? Because I'd like to see a little of that.

:)

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer