Sunday, January 4, 2009

What's colder than freezing?

It is crazy frigid outside. Unbelievable cold.

And if you know me, then you'll recognize what a statement this is. I'm almost never cold.

Part of the reason the cold is so personal to me today? We went for a walk. Our original 7.5 mile trek on the trail was nixed due to snow and ice. The trail is covered. And unplowed. Go figure.

Our neighborhood is not without ice and snow - but it has melted a bit. So off we went. Hope and I had made it about 3/4 of a mile when she talked me into a sidewalk trail so she could walk through the snow. I obliged. And quickly found myself on my derriere. With a little road rash on my shin. It didn't start hurting until I started thawing out (a good hour-plus later).

Dropped Hope off at the mile marker and went another 2 miles on my lonesome. Listened to a very encouraging and timely message on my iPod from Puyallup Foursquare.

http://media.p4square.com/pfc/video/low/20081011.mp4

Takes a bit for the video to cue. Matters of the heart. Those times (like now) whether I'm not sure the Lord is listening, a little nugget like this comes my way and encourages me. And makes me pause and examine motive.

I'm on "day 3" of the prism-quest. I'd be lying if I told you it was easy. Or that I haven't fallen a bit. But "fallen" looks like a handful of peanuts or cheating with a few chips vs. eating an entire carton of Ben and Jerry's or baking shortbread at 2 am so I can eat it all.

What I'm seeing very clearly is what a presence food is in my life. It's not just something that helps me survive. Food is a past time for me. A hobby. And without it, I'm a little lost. I abuse the very thing that God gives us to survive. Crazy. Now the trick is replacing that "lost love" with something else. The Lord. A new habit. :) Something.

My sister suggested cross stitching...so I've been doing more of that lately. Our house is also very, very clean. And while I'm not hungry, I would love to bury myself in a bowl of something warm and buttery. But I won't.

Dear Jesus, be with me. :)

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer