Sunday, January 11, 2009

this thing called weather...

...has not been my friend this year. Buckets of snow. Then torrents of rain. Flooding. Road closures. Craziness.

The snow stopped about a week and a half ago. Turned to rain. Never thought I would be so thankful for the wet stuff. Until it started flooding the creek down the hill. And the river on the backside of our development. Our home was in no danger of flooding - but the roads around us? Closed. The South Prairie Creek crested its banks and took out some houses and started flowing down the Buckley/Orting Highway. I've never seen such a thing.

On the way to church this morning, Hope and I noted that the "bus shed" (down the hill) was now on the opposite (and diagonal) side of the road. Wild stuff.

"Team Buckley" headed out for a 7.5 miler yesterday. We only made it 2 miles one way. The trail was washed out (and covered with feet of water). So our 7.5 miles because 4. Followed by our SBX coffee chat. :)
My baby turns nine in just one week. I can scarcely believe it. We're celebrating with a small gathering of girls for a Hannah Montana Build-a-Bear party. And by small, I mean "the least amount of girls we are allowed to bring" (six, for the record), and by Hannah Montana I mean the bear IS a Hannah Montana bear.
My dear friend and neighbor used to have her own cake biz with her mama and has graciously offered to help me create a Hannah Montana cake. It's a purple guitar. She seems confident that we can do this. And that I won't just be watching her craft while I watch with gaping jaw. :) She's given me a list of things to gather - fondant, silver cake dust...the list goes on. I'm hoping Michael's will be my one-stop shopping friend. I'm ever-so-grateful for Ginger's willingness to help and am hoping the cake ends up looking more like she crafted it and less like I did. Meaning, THAT IT WILL ROCK. :)
A post-Christmas birthday is not all it's cracked up to be...but I think it will be fabulous.
:)


No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer