Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!!!

I may come up with a verbose new year post later this week, but for now, here it is.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I completed my first half-marathon (Tacoma City Marathon). I also had repair surgery that I don't care to detail - nor do I hope has to be repaired again. :)

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I completed the half marathon. That was the goal. And another "unspoken" goal that isn't meant for blogwaves, was met. My resolutions for this year:

-Drop 50 pounds
-Complete RNR 1/2 marathon in June. Possible jog some of it.
-Instilling a little more daily orgnization into my life.
-Finishing the cross stitch Christmas stocking that I've been working on longer than I care to share. :)

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My friend Jeanette and Mike have a new bundle of joy...Shayne Louise. :)

4. Did anyone close to you die?
A friend/co-worker's husband took his life. He wasn't close to me - but she is.

5. What countries did you visit?
Mazatlan, Mexico. :)

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Less of me. More of God.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The half-marathon, for sure. July 11: the resurrection of the unspoken. :) The death of a friendship. The resurrection and healing of some old ones. Oh, and the massive snow storm of December. (ugh).

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don't know why, but this half-marathon comes up ove and over. And the unspoken would be here too.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing weight. Or not losing it, I should say.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes and yes. Injury early October. Surgery mid-November.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our acura MDX. It's a joy to use as a family. Seriously.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My crockpot. A new best friend and truly reliable and life-changing. yes.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Christians in general. A former employer. Nuff said.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Home improvement. Health care.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The half-marathon. Seeing Celine Dion with Shelly. Being in Mexico, once we had been there a few days. Our trip to AZ in August. Hope's Santa Parade experience. Seeing my sister (Katie) in September (in Portland). Oh! And going to see Journey with Lee (and Ginger/Shane).

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Gosh, I don't know. Probably Celine's "Taking Chances"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? happier, I think

b) thinner or fatter? the same. maybe plus 10. I just recovered from surgery tho.

c) richer or poorer? the same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise post-Tacoma marathon.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? eating.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Hope and I went to service on Christmas Eve at Puyallup Foursquare. T'was fabulous. Lee's family came to our digs on Christmas Day. It was really a fun and lovely time. Aided by our new Wii. I'm not sure why - but it was a very good celebration of Jesus! :)

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? No.

22. What was your favorite TV program? I have a few, but I'll have to say House, hands-down. I love that guy. And I do love me some Housewives of Atlanta. NeNe forever. :)

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone. But a few peeps have removed themselves from my life, and that is something to process - fosho.

24. What was the best book you read?
I read quite a few books and nothing is really standing out. Wait, "Here if You Need Me" by Kate Braestrup (thank you, Shelly!). It was phenomenal. Gorgeous writing. Thoughtful take on grief. The book I read that was a big disappointment was...The Shack.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Israel Houghton and New Breed. I knew of him before, but after he led worship for us at WV's DOP, I'm a fan!

26. What did you want and get?
The saving of something "unspoken." And a little healing of my past.

27. What did you want and not get?
lose weight. (yadda yadda)

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I'll start off with something impressive: During one of my recovery weekends (from surgery), I watched all three Lord of the Rings. Loved, loved, loved them. Something less impressive that I also loved: Sex and the City. I'm saying it loud and saying it proud. Please deal. :)

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40 this year. And was in the midst of a personal "unspoken" time. But my friends and neighbors came over and gave me a lovely hoorah! :) Co-workers too. :)

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I can't say it here. :) But the other would be...if Obama wouldn't have been elected in. I know, I know. Just don't think he's the real-deal.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Besides work out gear? Wear what fits. Hoping to change that one.

32. What kept you sane?
I would like to say the Lord - and I know he was there. But mostly, it was my sister Katie. My memory and humor creator. I love you, scoot. And a few well placed counselors. Amen and amen. You know who you are. :)

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I really enjoy Kristin Armstrong. Her blog. Her writing. (ex-wife of Lance and marathoner). I guess the other would be John McCain. I was disappointed that he crumbled to the masses during his campaign (selection of Sarah Palin, imo). His kind of patrioticism is going to the wayside, I do believe.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Not so much the election (although it was there). The blind acceptance by conservative evanglicals of Sarah Palin - simply b/c she wore the title Christian. And abortion. Interesting to see so many "conservative evangelicals" voting democratic and not having Obama's stance on abortion matter much in the scheme of their vote. Pastor Roger laid it out best, I think: "it's not a judgment. it just is. life begins before conception. we believe this as Christians." For the record, I was not a big fan of Sarah, but I did vote for McCain. And I am pro-life.

Separately, the child soldier bill passing. Crumbling of Zimbabwe and mass exodus of NGO's (via government direct).

35. Who did you miss?
Lee's Mom. Always.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Myself. :) True story. And she's not new, but reconnecting with Nancy. :) Oh, and I could lump Jeanie Skeith in here. True and strong women of the Lord. :)

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Guard your heart, for it is the well-spring of life. Not everyone is meant to walk closely as a friend. Sometimes, that includes family. Holding things loosely. Guarding my words and what I share more closely. And getting to know the Lord in a new way. He doesn't look like he used to. But He's still a good guy.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
My heart will go on.... (celine)

Happy New Year!!!!

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer