Friday, March 7, 2008

a pain-free post...

Life looks a little brighter on the other side of the dentist's chair. A small "come to Jesus" meeting has occured with the reality of my teeth, my age and the need for preventative care. Gone are the days of ignoring chips and nicks (or flat out breakages) of my enamel. Sometimes it takes a little while, but I am now sold. I may even buy a bumpersticker that says, "I love my dentist." :) A series of appointments awaits me over the coming months. But I am committed (to the dentist, not mentally).

note: this little picture of floating dentures is just a reminder to myself. An vision of the future if I don't step it up. bleh.

My sister (Katie) will laugh if she reads this. First, because I made her listen to my analysis of root canals for 10 mintues today and second, I analyze things too, too much. She tells me so all the time (but she does it too). It is slightly amazing to me how great and excruciating my pain was from those infected roots. And like magic, the root canal removed the pain. Nothing lingering, no painful healing. Just gone.

Dentists are really magicians in disguise. I'll ask if he can do the never-ending scarf trick on my next visit. If there's a rabbit and a hat by the door, I'll know for certain.

I truthfully can't believe the past three months. The never-ending sinus infection. Sinus surgery. A little emergency root canal. Crazy! I'm very thankful for our insurance. My sister-in-law who hooked me up with what has to be the best dental staff in western Washington and my Jesus who seems to go before me, even when I'm laid up, barely surviving and ready to launch myself out a window due to the sheer and piercing pain of an infected tooth.

And now, it's 1:46 am and sleep evades. Post-surgery, 1 am seems to be my new 5 am (ie waking time).

And finally, my conversation this morning with Hope.

Hope: Mom, what did the dentist do to make your tooth stop hurting?

Kris: My roots were infected. He drilled in and cleaned them out.

Hope: He drilled into your tooth? With a real drill like Dad's?

Kris: (thinking if she's actually ever done anything but hear the drill)...yeah, a dentist's drill - but it's definitely a drill.

Hope: Chuckling to herself...."I would have liked to see that."

My child is either interested in dentistry - or would simply like to see a drill in her Mom's mouth. Is this a good thing?

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer