Sunday, March 16, 2008

Top o' the morning to ya...

and a pot o' gold at the end of your rainbow!

Our little family and two of my neighborhood half-marathoning peeps (Liz and Josie) left our 'hood at 6:30 this morning (on a Sunday!) with the mission of completing Seattle's St. Patty's Day Dash. Four leaf clovers and all. I haven't seen so much green since, well, I don't know when. It was actually a really fun time and a good experience. Here's a pic of Lee, Hope and I to prove it. We were there.

The race, in all of its green glory, began at 9 am-ish. Our wave (the yellow, untimed group) didn't leave the starting block until 9:35. We finished about 10:45. Considering we had Hope with us, we thought that was pretty good for the 3.5 miles from Seattle Center to Qwest Field.

The weather held out for us...the view was beautiful coming across the Alaskan Way Viaduct. It really is so weird to walk on the freeways and highways we normally drive on. Seattle really does need a pothole or two fixed. Amen?

Hope was a trooper. She struggled the last mile or so. There were lots and lots of kids cruising with the yellow wave. Irish music, bands and bagpipes entertained us along the way. McDonald's was the end promise of glory for Hope--and I believe the promsie that kept her moving. Starbucks for the adults. She promptly closed her eyes and slept after those nuggets hit her belly. Ahhh...nothing like nutrition eh? (kidding).

Last night after our day was done, Lee and I both decided that walking 10 miles earlier that day may not have been the very smartest thing to do on the eve of our Dash. I have a funny story to share regarding our 10 miles together ... but I'll save it for another post. We decided that I need my walking peeps that are full of conversation and encouragement. And Lee needs, well, his Ipod.

:) Happy St. Patty's Day! :)

No comments:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer