Sunday, December 16, 2007

a million little pieces...

Don't worry. I'm not recounting a partially-fabricated memoir (ie James Frey's moment of fame). Things just feel like they are truly crumbling into a million little pieces. Maybe my steroid-filtered view is affecting things as well. Eh, who am I kidding? The roids are rocking my entire being.

We recently replaced all of our appliances. We've enjoyed a mini-flood in our kitchen when the dishwasher hoses weren't connected "quite right." Can electrocution occur while ironing a shirt in a flooded kitchen? Anyhhow, we found ourselves without water and/or dishwasher in the midst of Hope's cookie party preparation - for dishes or the washing of other important items (um, like my hair).

The transition has been tough - but we've weathered it. And in the scheme of things, we're being blessed by new appliances. How much can I really complain (read on to find out)?

This weekend, we said goodbye to our very sad and well-used white porcelain sink. Dings, dents and scrapes - I'm sure it was ready to be put to rest. But not before leaving its mark - smack on the bottom of our new refrigerator. French-door refrigerator. No one can actually tell how the dinging happened....but since the blame isn't being laid squarely at my feet, I believe my other half knows he played some kind of part in the mess. It was a disappointing moment...and we will likely be replacing the freezer door. ;(

Fast-forward to the new granite sink. Two days later, we have water. And a small, but delicate leak. I'm told it will be fixed. Eh, what's one flooded kitchen week after week?

The grand finale' happened today. I attempted to wash our guest room comforter. In honor of my FIL's arrival this week. I've washed this particular item more than one time in our large-basin washing machine. Somehow, in the fray of kitchen sinks, dings on the new refrigerator and the frustration pervading our wrench-laden digs, the comforter became entangled. And stopped the turning of the drum. Loads of soapy water began to pour forth with abandon...as if it were called to that very moment.

I don't know why, but when Lee beckoned (um, really?) to me, I knew exactly what had gone down. Flooded laundry room. Did I mention the cat box is also kept in the laundry room? Good times, good times indeed.

The very best news is that we have the cleanest floors in all of Buckley. Shiny, clean and debris-free. Ladybug is enjoying her brand-new, lovingly laid cat litter (grrr). And I....hmm. Well, I'm actually so looking forward to being in the office tomorrow.

Speaking of a million little pieces, that's the state of my guest room right now. Better get back to it.

1 comment:

Connie said...

With great sympathy, I laughed my way right through that post. I am so sorry....joy cometh?

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer